Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Change of THE plan...

So all my life I've had a plan. Go to University, go to teacher's college, get a job, get married, have kids, then turn 25. Well guess what. That plan is gone down the drain. And for the last couple months, I've pretty much had no plan. I've just been going along doing what I've been doing, not really knowing where its going. 

And if you know me at all, you know that it was killing me on the inside. I hate not having a plan... especially since it was THE plan that I've had since I was 5 pretty much. 

But now I have a new plan. And part of the plan is: to not have a plan!

Well first of all, I have made a new career decision. I'm not going to be a teacher any more. I know I know, if you know me really well this is a BIG DEAL. But here's why: 

First of all, I don't know if I will actually ever get a job teaching. SO many people are going to school to be teachers now, and I really don't want to substitute for 5 or more years before I actually get a job. Because honestly, subs do nothing. Also, with my English degree there isn't really anything else out there that I would have a passion for, so I was at a loss of what I could do till I get a teaching job. 

So I found out about something that really interests me: Speech - Language Pathology, and Communicative Disorders Assistant. First, SLP is the field, and CODA is a job title under that field. A CODA is a 1 year post - grad certificate at Durham and Georgian College and basically what you do is coach young children who had speech impediments from disabilities or even for those you just have stutters and stuff like that. So I will still be teaching in a way, however in a different way. Also, I have a very good friend who has a very bad speech impediment, and since we've been friends I'm the only one who can understand her, and I always feel so bad for her and all the teasing and trouble that she went through. I really want to be able to help other children get through that and help them to communicate. 

As for the marriage thing, I've realized that I'm a strong, independent woman, and I don't need to get married so soon. I am somewhat looking forward to being on my own and making it on my own while I'm young and enjoying myself. That doesn't mean I'm not going to date, but it does mean that I'm not going to force it. It doesn't have to be a goal for me to get married by a certain date. Especially one that is so close, and me without a real potential spouse. 

So yupp thats the whole kit and kaboodle. I've changed my mind and thats that. I may change it again but that's okay. I'm not some character from a book that I can write out and live out to a tee. Things are going to change, and I'm okay with that. I'm going to just go with where I take myself. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Let me know if you have any questions about either CDA program. I went to Georgian College and teach within the Durham College CDA program.

angelena.paglia said...

aw Cheryl I'm so happy for you!